SAFETY CULTURE QUIZ
Powered By Propulo Consulting
Propulo is the leading Safety & Operational Performance Strategic Advisory & Training firm.
Safety Culture Quiz
Created By Dr. Josh Williams | Powered By Propulo Consulting
Improving safety culture is vital to long term performance excellence. Organizations with weak or underdeveloped safety cultures typically find that incident rates unexpectedly fluctuate without apparent rhyme or reason. Leaders in these organizations struggle for sustained reductions in incidents, property damage, and injuries. Forward thinking leaders are continually searching for ways to advance safety culture and prevent serious injuries and fatalities (SIFs). In leading-edge organizations, there is constant emphasis on bolstering safety attitudes/ownership, behaviors, and system factors for SIF prevention. A sample of ideal safety culture characteristics include:
– Leaders have an “own it” mindset for safety. Managersand supervisors step up for safety and don’t solely rely on EHS personnel for accountability. Leaders conduct “listening tours” to get a pulse of safety issues out in the field.
– Employees actively participate in safety including close call reporting, providing safety suggestions, and conducting observations/peer checks.
– Incident analyses and close call reporting are system focused on not blame oriented. Identified issues are assessed for SIF potential and lessons learned (including system improvements) are shared with all.
– Safety rules are practical and updates are effectively shared with all employees.
– Safety tools, equipment, and PPE are high quality and are readily available. Preventive maintenance is effective.
– Safety training is hands-on, job specific, and engaging. This includes new-hire training and refresher training for more experienced employees.
– Employee learning teams are regularly involved with hazard recognition and correction. Pre-incident analysis walkthroughs are regularly done.
The Safety Guru with Eric Michrowski | Powered By Propulo Consulting
Try More Safety Quizzes
Safety Communication Inventory (SCI) Quiz
Effective communication is the cornerstone of a healthy safe production culture. This is particularly important with one-on-one conversations with employees. Employees who feel listened to and appreciated are more likely to go beyond the call of duty for safety and other organizational efforts.
Harnessing the Power of HP to Prevent SIFs
Organizational leaders are increasingly turning to Human Performance (HP) principles to improve safety culture and prevent SIFs. HP emphasizes the importance of improving environmental contingencies to encourage safe work practices.
Close Call Reporting (CCR) Quiz
Does your organization reinforce a culture of reporting or is there some fear (or hassle) associated with close call events? The answer to that question is a great litmus test for your overall safe production culture.
Safety Incentives Quiz
Effective incentives, if used, should focus on proactive safety behaviors and efforts. Rewards should be symbolic and safety themed. Genuine appreciation and recognition trump all other incentives.
Meet The Expert
Dr. Josh Williams
Partner, Propulo Consulting
Dr. Josh Williams is a Partner with Propulo Consulting, a global management consulting firm delivering significant and sustainable improvements in organizational performance. For over 20 years Josh has partnered with clients around the world to drive increased discretionary effort and improved strategic execution. He’s the author of Keeping People Safe: The Human Dynamics of Injury Prevention and received the Cambridge Center National First Prize for his research on behavioral safety feedback.